Friday, October 17, 2008

Music Night

This was the scene in our living room tonight, as the second annual Music Night took place. When October finally rolls around and our house is not too hot anymore to reasonably invite people over (we live in an old house made for swamp cooling, but jimmied-up for AC) we invite everyone we can think of that might enjoy coming together and entertaining each other with our latest musical conquests. I didn't remember to get pics of everyone, so this is just a partial representation. I started us off with Norah Jones "My Dear Country"--I call it "Election Day"--which I think is a pretty humorous song about the disillusionment of the day after Election Day. Other acts, not in order:
Andy uses Music Night as motivation to learn a great song. He played, "Joy," from George Winston's album "December." (A favorite). While the performance is great, what I really like is the music that fills our home as he practices, and that our kids get to see their dad playing the piano. I believe that now that he can turn his attentions to other songs, I am delegating the accompanying of family night singing to Andy. Lance, Andy's brother, accompanied himself on both the piano--he is mainly self-taught!--and the guitar. Versatility. Wow. Preston--of the first picture, played 2 original songs and rocked our house and audience. I loved that he played electric guitar and used an amp and all the good stuff that requires. It definitely elevated music Night to a new level. My sister Emily of the fabulous voice, sang like an angel, "Someday." I felt proud to be related. McKane--brother-in-law, musician and CEO extraordinaire--sang an original and family favorite, "Shot in the Arm." Every time I hear him play I feel a desire to pick up the guitar again and get better. Maybe next year...
I wish I'd gotten this next picture at the piano, because I think it is heartwarming to see them play and sing together. Marily and Mark did 2 hilarious covers of "Flight of the Concorde." My face hurt from laughing and smiling. I did another number and stretched myself by coming out from behind the piano and singing, "Our Story Goes On," from the musical "Baby." I first sang it in college when I was pregnant with Warren, and it feels cheesily-sentimental to sing it while pregnant now with number 4. It actually went pretty poorly. My CD malfunctioned, I had talked way too much at Craft Day this morning and with the guests who actually came on time--bless those people!--to have my full voice. Oh well. I had fun practicing. Music Night reminds me that music isn't just about the performance, it is the process that brings so much happiness to my life.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Laurie said...

It was so fun!!! I'm glad you guys are making this an annual thing! Maybe next year my arm won't be sore (pulled bicep) and I'll actually be brave enough to do something!

Meg said...

I am so SO bummed to have missed it! The family and I will be there with bells on next time! My husband has a lovely voice so he'll sing too!

Sarah Blue said...

What a great idea! I'm totally going to copy you!!!