Saturday, October 18, 2008

Craft Day

Each second Friday is Craft Day at my mom's house. Amongst ourselves--my mom, her twin, a cousin, sometimes a sister and a friend or two--it is also called "Friday Therapy Group," like a book group but with crafts instead? I am in charge next month, and I tend to be the slacker in preparing my craft idea, so this time I went prepared with this Halloween Garland to show that we could make a similar one for Valentine's Day. To see the tags I chose to theme it around, go here and search "romantic roses." I designed these in another life for Scrapbook.com's e-cut line. I love that I can print out as many as I want since that is how e-cuts work once you purchase them. Anyway, I was really pleased and inspired by the garland, and I have a beautiful fireplace mantel that cries out for love, so you will probably be seeing more of my creations here, soon.
This Craft Day's craft is the pillar candle and surrounding balls scattered around. There are actually 6, but only 4 are pictured here. I firmly believe my mom and aunt should be up for sainthood after all the thousands of card stock leaves they punched out for us to stick with straight pins into Styrofoam balls. The final product is actually a center piece with the candle (covered with decorative paper and ribbon) in the middle, the balls around it, all set on a charger plate, but after the next picture, you will understand why my precious decorative leaf balls are out of reach on the mantel...
What I took at least 30 minutes to put together, Avery can undo in about 2. Isn't it great the kids teach is useful factoids like that? Now, stay with me as I wax philosophical. I'm sure all the leaf-punching, pin-sticking raised a few male eyebrows around the house, wondering why anyone would spend so much time for just a craft. It is so much more than a craft, though. It is the opportunity to come together and share in each others' lives. The preparation it requires--and it is not usually anywhere near this labor intensive--is well rewarded by the time spent together. Something about being creative brings out the best in people and helps us open our homes and hearts to each other.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

✩Molly✩ said...

OKAY, so I am dying to be adopted into this tradition, no joke. I love crafts :) you make wonderful things, and are just so talented. I just love knowing you.