For months, Warren has had a promise from our neighbor to build him a bike ramp on a day that Sam, my brother, could come over also. Well, October Break provided the perfect confluence of factors, and so last weekend at 6:40 in the morning, as I am still lying in bed , I hear Warren out back, asking our neighbor if he will build the bike ramp. I was a bit nervous, since I didn't know what this would entail. (Keep in mind my insurance deductible is $11,000 :) But I was greatly relieved when I saw my neighbor hauling out a piece of plywood and some cinder blocks and building it on the grass berm between our yards. I should have known he'd keep it simple and safe for the kids he likes so much.
The ramp had all sorts of reincarnations: on the grass vs. on the sidewalk, cinder blocks vs. red bricks, ramp or tilting platform. My kids and my siblings spent the better part of the morning planning it and then directing how to build it to their latest specifications. Warren rode his bike, Same rode his bike and scooter, Annie took a few turns on the scooter, and Avery and Abigail each got pushed on the tricycle--obviously, they didn't catch much air.
Around noon I went to the YMCA and saw an acquaintance who asked, "Coming or going?" "Just getting here," I replied. I then explained the bike ramp to her and my wonderful neighbor who spent his entire morning making my kids and siblings happy. She replied, "Those kind of people are so good for neighborhoods." I agree.




2 comments:
Yup that's why our neighborhood is so great, the people.
I second the above comment! ;)
Post a Comment