An entry by "Warren" and his mom:
"I am from a different country. I am from France--that's why I'm wearing a scarf."
The "I" is highlighted because Warren is on a letter "i" kick today, as you will see from the 3rd picture. At Montessori House, today was International Children's Day, where the kids celebrate the cultures of the world and also America. The Parade of Nations came first, with all the pre-schoolers and kindergartners dressed up from the country of their choice and walking around to "It's a Small World." When he saw us, his face lit up and he waved excitedly, as did Avery. In fact, she waved and shouted, "Hi Warrnen" (yes she says Warnin') through most of the first song, too. Naturally, Warren chose France, wore my scarf that I wore most of the days I was there, and brought crepes with Nutella for the potluck.
"Love grows 1 by 1, 2 by 2, 4 by 4. Love goes around in a circle and comes back knocking at your front door. Note by note we make a sing, voice by voice we sing it. Choir by choir we fill up the world with the music that we bring it. Love grows 1 by 1, 2 by 2, 4 by 4. Love grows around in a circle and comes back knocking at your front door."
Other songs they sang included: Joyful, Joyful and Tell Me the Continents. Warren can name them all: North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Europe, Antarctica, Australia.
In Montessori School, children learn to write in cursive first, primarily because they tend to not reverse the letter direction and develop better control and penmanship by keeping the pencil in contact with the paper most of the time. Lately, he has enjoyed making letters out of the hose; today it was an "i." He was pretty proud of it and took the picture himself. Warren's list of "i" words: "it, is, ickle, inside, ipple (the modified form of apple, apparently :). On another Montessori note, "Show Your Work" night was Tuesday and Warren was able to show us number chains--the work he has wanted to do since last year. He is so excited. I wish I'd thought to take a picture. He's pretty pleased with the skip-counting number chains involves, and also with another new work, movable alphabet. He is reading all sorts of short, phonetic words. Yeah Warren!




1 comment:
International Day sounded so fun! I love that Warren is standing right next to 2 of my cousins, Lauren and Caitlin in the picture!!
Post a Comment