Thursday, May 15, 2008

It Was Supposed to Rain Today

Yesterday's steps:11,401
Today's: 10,565
word: choc: shock; toit: roof
I took the kids to the Palais de la decouverte, a children's science museum. The first half of our visit was pretty stressful because we weren't in the best exhibit area for them and I was trying to do it without the stroller. So at lunch, we started over. We got some help to take the stroller up the steps to a different exhibit level and with full tummies and Avery asleep in the stroller, the museum was much more fun. Warren especially likes learning about earthquakes and all the exhibits that went along with that. Tonight, he was telling Abigail, "Abigail, all the continents used to be one continent, but then the tectonic plates that are under the land moved and made all the continents break apart." He was so animated telling her about it, he didn't seem to notice she was crying because she'd hit her head.
Afterwards, we rode the Metro home and when we got off at our stop the elevators were out of service! Thankfully, the first of several people to volunteer were a mother and tween-age daughter who carried Avery and our bag up the 112 stairs, while I carried the folded-down stroller. Other people behind us picked up objects that fell out of our stroller basket as I carried it. About 2/3 of the way up another nice woman picked up Abigail and carried her.
We hurried home to meet our friend who we know from the French ward here. She gave us blueberry muffins she made one week, so I asked her if she like to cook. She said yes, so I asked her to teach me something French. Today she came over and brought all the ingredients to make quiche and a little recipe book I could use to make all kinds of tarts. Unfortunately, my gas tank, which we just filled up again this morning, wasn't working to light my oven. So she explained how to do it and I wrote it all down. She is a great teacher because dinner was great. My kids really liked it too, which is a good indicator. Warren and Abigail are not picky eaters, but they are distracted eaters; staying focused on food at dinner is hard, but not tonight. Avery, of course, ate second helpings, no problem :)
Besides learning from her, it was so nice to have someone in our home. Sure it was messy, sure Warren pulled out his pipe from the flea market and I had some explaining to do, sure my kids were even a little bit more crazy than usual, but she was so friendly and a joy to visit with. I asked about how people do food storage here; she, for example, has a place smaller than ours. Yet, she has food storage. I smiled as I thought about all the people around the world, living the gospel in their own countries. I'm so blessed that I can be here in Paris and already have a built-in community of friends because of the gospel. I look forward to her next visit; we must not have scared her off because she said, "Next time I come I'll bring my camera!" (The comment was prompted by Abigail's face after just finishing a slice of bread with Nutella.)

4 comments:

RatalieNose said...

Warren is OFFICIALLY a genius!!! EXPLAINING PLATE TECTONICS!!!!! THAT'S RIDICULOSULY AMAZING!!!!! Bekah I'm soo glad you have good friends over there it makes things so much easier!! I love love love you all!!!

Elizabeth said...

I was going to say the same thing, that's cool that Warren knew all of that about the world. And seriously, what wonderfully nice people to help get you, 3 small children, a very large and totally awesome stroller and whatever else you had with you up 112 steps. Brownie point for French peoples.

Laurie said...

I still remember last Easter-time when Warren told all of Primary that the earthquakes associated with Christ's death were because of the tectonic plates! I love it!!

Grandma T. said...

Ah, the marvelous elevator. When you first mentioned it I agreed that it was one of the reasons HF located you where he did. But...My own personal worry popped in there...what if the elevator was ever out of order. That would be an arthritis nightmare! So, I was very touched to see how it worked out. No matter what, HF is always watching over us.