Sunday, May 18, 2008

Small and Simple Things

Andy and I spoke in church today. It was neat to speak to a much smaller group and without the microphone it seemed more intimate and less formal. I had Abigail sing "Count Your Blessings" to start off my talk. Before we spoke, they asked us to share why we were here in Paris. When I got up I said, "The short answer is that my husband is doing reasearch for his Ph.D., but the long answer is that I always wanted to study abroad and gave up that dream when I married Andy. Yet, the Lord didn't and here we are! And this is much better, because I don't have to pass tests or go to classes!" I then spoke about noticing the Lord's hand in each of our lives. It was so sweet to share some experiences I've had here in Paris and other times in my life with complete strangers. Andy spoke on the Sabbath day and how it reminds us of the eternal life offered to each of us by our Father in Heaven.
After church, we ate the picnic lunch I packed and then walked along the Seine. It had rained and still seemed threatening, but we walked anyway. After about an hour of cold, gray skies, the sun burst through and it was cool and beautiful! We strolled around some beautiful gardens we found and watched the trains pass underneath a bridge we were on. Warren loved that. We were right by a switch on the tracks I shared with Warren Pres. Hinckey's story about the train that got off track by only a few inches because of a switch and ended up in another state, and how our lives are like that. Their course i determined by the small decisions we make each day. I'm not sure he got anything out of it, but it was a great reminder to me, especially since I used the scripture, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass" several times in my talk today.
Tonight we ate dinner at the Shirtliff's; it was fabulous as usual. While Bro. Shirtliff was in Puerto Rico last weekend he picked up a bunch of toys at an American toystore--mega blocks, stacking cups, Skipper/young Barbie doll sets, trucks--for the kids to play with when they come over. They loved it. And, he got his wife a Wii for Mothers' Day, so Andy and Warren got to bowl on it. There is a senior missionary couple from Hawaii here, and they were at dinner also. After hearing Abigail sing in sacrament meeting today, she gave me a CD of a Hawaiian Christmas song she wrote for children, so I am getting in touch with my Hawaiian side here in Paris, of all places!
Later, as Andy and I were carrying the stroller down the last step of the station we got on the Metro at, I tripped and twisted my ankle really strangely. I thought I might have sprained it. Thankfully, the senior missionary couple who ate dinner with us was right there at the station waiting for the same Metro and Sister Murray--who is from Hawaii and loves me because I am part Hawaiian--came right over and it was nice to know immediately that if we were going to need help, it was already there. She had me move it around, and I could do that. Then suddenly, my ankle felt warm and much improved, almost as quickly as it started to hurt. I really feel like Heavenly Father performed a small miracle for me right there at the bottom of the staircase. The Metro pulled up just after I fell, and the driver was so nice; he noticed us not getting on and came out to see if we needed help with the stroller. When he saw me crying and holding my ankle, he went back in to call a doctor, but by then I felt better and we told him I was okay. So we still even made that Metro since he waited for us! I am constantly impressed with how nice and helpful people are here.
Total steps today: 18,057
Yesterday: 19,732

3 comments:

RatalieNose said...

Wow!!! You are sooo blessed sister!!!!! Such great things have happened for you all!!! That's so cool that you met someone Hawaiian..in France!!!
I love love love you!!!

Elizabeth said...

Oh, I really hope your ankle is ok!!!

Grandma T. said...

How nice that you posted about your ward. I've been wondering if it is totally English, or mixed. Have they asked you to play the music or do they have someone and you are "in cognito?" What about the piano at home? When I read that you walked in and saw the piano the first thing I thought of was that it was a special gift to you from H.F. and then wondered what you would do with it that would help him. I'm wondering if your neighbors enjoy hearing you play and if it has helped you get to know them/share the gospel.