Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Rain Boots Make Rainy Days More Fun

Today we had planned to walk the Canal St. Martin, but they day dawned gray and rainy. So we called our good friend Elaine to see if we could spend the day at her house. She generously said yes, so we went to buy some rain boots and then set off. I let Warren and Abigail jump in all the puddles along the way once we were off the Metro. We spent the day eating lunch; making smoothies; playing dolls, blocks and trucks; watching movies and talking. It was wonderful. Avery even napped in their pack and play. It was a great way to spend a rainy day.
Just when we thought the rain had let up for awhile, and it was safe to walk to the Metro, it started raining again. We tried waiting it out in the park across the street from Elaine's, but after 20 minutes or so of that, it became apparent it wasn't going to let up. Warren wanted to go to the Metro. I told him I didn't really mind getting wet, but that I wasn't sure I'd be able to find someone to help me with the stroller in the rain--less people on the streets, and those who were, in a hurry etc. After a moment Warren replied, "Mom, we could pray for someone to be there." And he did. And there was. There always is. God's love is everywhere. It really is an opportunity to have to rely on someone other than yourself to get around. It makes me feel humble to see how much I need the strangers around me, and how they willingly help me, time after time. People are good. I've always believed that; I believe it more every day. So we set off for the Metro stop anyway. It wasn't far, and the kids had their stroller umbrellas plus mine, so they stayed dry. Even with the rain, I still found people willing to help me carry the stroller down the wet, slippery stairs to and in the Metro. All of the people who helped us almost slipped at some point, but no one actually did, and I am so grateful for that. I'm going to ask God for special blessings for all those people tonight in my prayers. Warren stopped on the way home to look in a shop window and I caught this moment on camera. I love it.
Total Steps: 5,881
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Emily Lauren said...

Wow, Warren looks so old in that picture. And what a fun way to spend a rainy day. Bummer that those rain boots wont get much use here in AZ :)

TuTu said...

I love the escargot merry-go-round and the beautiful singing that accompanies it! Warren, you are such a great tree climber. Abigail, your singing is absolutely incredible. Avery, I love your new shoes and pretty smile and singing. I love you all.
Papo

Holly Janeen said...

darling.
just precious. :)