Thursday, May 22, 2008

Vignettes

Everywhere we go in Paris, people are astounded that:
1. I have three children
2. I have a stroller that carries all three children.
These friendly Italians were no exception, they were just not shy about their interest in us at all. Imagine every stereo-type you have about expressive Italians, and you would probably be right. We were filmed and photographed by many in their tour group. They commented, like so many people here do, what beautiful eyes my children have and how beautiful they are. I don't mind the interest people have in us; I hope we are a walking testimony that families are a joy. Other funny reactions we got today include: "Wow, you and your husband must be working hard"; "Are they all yours?"; a man calling to his wife who was walking ahead of him, pointing and then holding up 3 fingers; double-takes from people who are seated at outdoor cafes or who are walking the other direction; random comments in French that I don't understand except "trois"--3.
Store displays are so delightful to gaze at; here, the chess board and pieces are made of white and dark chocolate, as were the flower pots and the trees in them, which you can't see in this picture. We stared so long at this window that the nice lady brought us each out a piece of chocolate. It was such a kind gesture. At the next chocolate shop, which included an ice cream stand, my kids each said something like, "Maybe they will bring us out an ice cream cone for free!"
One of the great things about Paris is the daily surprises. Warren and I saw this exhibit and went in, intrigued by the mobile you see above, and we ended up staying almost an hour moving and playing with the various sculptures. There was even a sign that said, in French, "You can touch and play with the sculptures." All of my kids really enjoyed experiencing the art moving, making shadows, taking on different forms, feeling the textures and making sounds with some pieces. I included several pictures in the slideshow above. Warren was trying to reach this statue and couldn't and this woman asked him if he'd like her to pick him up--which she did! I was surprised, because Warren is very heavy for me to pick up these days, and she did it for awhile. The French are friendly, what else can I say?
We passed a street performer dancing with a glass ball and Abigail said, "Mom, stop! Let's watch." We stopped and watched the entire act, and I let Warren and Abigail get out to get a better view in the front. This was my favorite part of the entire show. Sweet.
They love giving money to performers; yesterday there was a tuba player on the Metro, and we gave him some change, too. Other times we have seen accordians and violin players on the Metro as it carries us around.

3 comments:

Emily Lauren said...

How sweet is the picture of Dub with his arm around Abigail? Cutest.
I love that everyone is enamored by all of the kids and your cute family. They really are adorable! We miss you guys.

Nancy Face said...

I loved this! :)

TuTu said...

Andy:

Will you please bring the chocolate chess board and pieces home with you in July? We'll play one game and winner eats all!

Papo loves you all!

Papo