Monday, February 02, 2009

Finding Your Balance


Friday night we had one of my friends and her 3 kids over for pizza night. We made pizza, played in the backyard, roller skated in the driveway, and laughed at our silly kids. My favorite story of the night: the cute little girl on the left came in from skating, crying. Her mom asked, "Did you lose your balance?" Abigail--ever the optimistic problem-solver--cried out, "I'll go find it for you!" and ran out the front door. I watched her through the window, wondering if she really knew that "balance" was not an object to be found. She got to the front of the yard, bent over, scooped up something invisible in her arms off of the ground, and ran back inside. Then she commented, "I found your balance; do you want me to put it back on you?"
A few nights ago, Andy and I were discussing "balance" in life. A wise man had recently told a friend of ours (when he asked how to balance family, work, church work etc.) that there is no such thing as balance in life--that you just do what you have to do, and deal with it--that's life. I agree. Yes, I cover the basics everyday, but the illusion of balance can unwisely cause me to give equal weight to different aspects of my life when truthfully, some things are demanding to be done, and others are not. Each day is a constant mind-game of "good, better, best."
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Meg said...

Let me tell you ma'am this post was a little blessing to me this morning...As I re-enter the world of stay at home motherhood I am struggling with the ever elusive balance...This was a perfect reminder to be patient and "Be Still" and take everything as it comes!

John and Lisa said...

Great post, Rebekah. I found myself asking myself the same question awhile back..."where is my balance?" I appreciated being validated, when I heard the same thing (probably from the same person you did!) that there is no such thing! We just have to learn to deal with what we have in front of us, and somehow make it work.

Holly Janeen said...

*sigh*
if you find MY balance, let me know, k?
you are right... thanks for sharing!

RatalieNose said...

Oh Abisnail so so helpful!

Laurie said...

That's one of my favorite Conference talks!!