Friday, June 27, 2008

Clean-up and Catch-up

Avery always sits in her stroller when we ride on the Metro. Usually, she is pushed so far up against the door that she can't reach the pole, but Tuesday there was some extra space, and she could reach the pole. I love how happy she is to "hold on" like the people who are standing up. Other people love seeing her do it, too.
On Tuesday we went to the Bois de Boulogne--the woods on the west of Paris. At one playground, there was this slanted, chasm-ed, rock climbing wall. Abigail kept trying to get over it, but with no success, until Warren went and helped her. So cute.
Tuesday was a hot day, so this water fountain was heaven-sent. Avery enjoyed it a lot.

On Wednesday night we went to the Arts and Metiers Museum, then to eat falafel, played at a park and then to the Shirtliff's house to say goodbye. They have been such good friends to us and the kids. When I told Warren we were going to say goodbye, he seemed to take it pretty well, until I heard him crying outside about 10 minutes later. I asked what was wrong--no response. I asked if there was anything I could do--he said, "I don't think so. I'm just so sad to leave Paris and the Shirtliff's. I wish we'd never met them so we didn't have to say goodbye." Well, that of course, got Abigail crying, too. Needless to say, we will be in touch, and are forever grateful for out dear friends.
I told Elaine that it was my first field trip with the kids to her house that made me brave enough to go out and explore Paris with them. I really think it would've taken much longer for me to get out with them if I hadn't had her house to go to, to "test the waters." It seems a small thing, but on small and simple things hinge great happenings, right?
Yesterday--Thursday--Warren wanted to trade in his training rollerblades and some other toys for real rollerblades at the kids resale store. I had to take a picture, they looked so cute.
Yesterday and today I've been cleaning and packing while the kids run circles around me. But even I could not miss how cute the girls both looked today in their hats. So we took some pictures.
For this last shot, Avery was motioning for Warren to get in with them--it was sweet that she wanted to include him. To get their attention for the picture, I said, "Say, 'Goodbye Paris!'" It didn't really make them smile, it mainly made them confused, but I got a pretty good one anyway.
When I think of leaving Paris, I am so happy. I have loved our time here, but I'm ready to go home. I wish we were flying home tomorrow, instead of setting off on 2 and a half weeks of vacation, but I know once we arrive at the first place, I'll get excited.

3 comments:

RatalieNose said...

I love how you can see my legs in the first picture! Precious precious precious as usual!
(The kids, not my legs.)

Anonymous said...

such cute kids. love the girls in hats.

KP said...

I wanted to email you but I don't know how. Silly. We love to read your blog. Seems like you have been gone so long. It will be fun to have you back soon. The kids have grown. Warren is so cute, Abigail growing up some more, & Avery darling. I hope you are able to read the Ensign & VT message.