Tuesday, April 07, 2009

QT for Cuties

It was one of those moments where I wish I had a camera phone. (I know, welcome to the 21st century. Warren says, "So mom, your phone is not that great?") Warren treated his sisters to slushies at QT. Avery got one because she is still potty-trained. Abigail got one because Avery got one--and she didn't wet the bed last night. It was so cute that Warren has been committed to this for several days; he just needed to get me to take them there! When we pulled up, Avery started cheering, and inside, she confidently pointed the way and said knowingly, "This way." They loved their treats. I spent a lot of time convincing Warren that buying one 44 oz. drink for $1.29 and dividing it into cups for the girls was a better deal than paying for two 22 oz. drinks at $1.09 each. (Plus, none of the kids has ever come close to finishing a 22 oz. drink) In the end, he decided that was smart and did it. Sometimes I know I am too emotionally invested in how Warren spends his allowance money. I should just be glad that he is so generous and wants to buy everyone a drink and that he is not buying "stuff" that will take up room at our house.

We had the funniest conversation at dinner last night. Warren and Abigail both attend the same Montessori school. In Montessori, children choose their own work throughout the day and since there is just one of each "work," only one child does it at time, except when they work with a friend. Each child receives each lesson for each work, one at a time, and at different ages, depending on their readiness for the skill.
Warren shared with us how he had "hid a work at school that I didn't want to do for a while."

I asked, suspiciously, "Are you allowed to do that?"

He replied with a very honest look on his face, "Yes. [pause] Can you do that at normal school?"

"No, when you get work at normal school, everyone is supposed to do it right then."

With a shocked look of incredulity Warren exclaimed, "Everyone is supposed to do the same thing at the same time?"

"Yes."

"Oh, that's not a very fun way. [pause] Mom, who chooses what lesson everyone gets?"

"The teacher chooses what lesson everyone gets, and they all get it at the same time."

"That doesn't sound fun at all."

Trying to reinforce some positive behavior I followed up with, "I'm glad you go to a school where they trust you to make good choices."

Abigail, who had been listening intently the whole time concluded seriously, "At normal school, they trust you to make bad choices."
Funny. And insightful for me. Sometimes I think I trust my children to "make bad choices." Maybe I shouldn't have worried about Warren saving $1 on the drinks. Or maybe there is a way to find out if they have said their morning prayers without asking, "Have you prayed already?" as if they hadn't. Or maybe I could give the benefit of the doubt when a child is really slow to answer or respond, and just really nicely ask again--especially if that child is Warren, who is often lost in his own thoughts or very focused on whatever he is doing. I suppose I don't answer questions very well either, when I am focused on something else. Something to think about for me.

1 comment:

RatalieNose said...

He just takes after his Aunt Sarah doesn't he??
Bekah I'm still sending my kids to "Aunt Bekah's Boarding School"