Monday, April 27, 2009

Queen of Hearts

Now that we have 4 children, sometimes people ask how that is going--mainly middle-aged women who remember having 4 very young kids or young moms like me who have 1 or 2 kids. I haven't come up with a good answer yet, but I think part of the answer is this: 4 kids 5 and under means I have had to re-visit all my expectations of myself, especially regarding the cleanliness of my home. Like today. Monday is the day I clean my house. But today I had a 2-month well-check appointment for Madeleine right in the middle of my morning. [11 lb 10 oz (75th percentile); 23.5 in (85th percentile)] So Avery, Madeleine and I got ready for that, went and when we came home, I decided that in the remaining hour I had before I picked up Warren and Abigail from school, that Avery and I would just hang out together reading the books she kept bringing to me and swinging on the porch swing. So the house stayed crazy. I planned to clean it when the kids napped, but Madeleine had rough afternoon--crying even when I held her--and the only way I could get her calm and napping was to have her lay on my chest. So naturally, I took a nap, too. So the house stayed messy. Tonight we made yummy french toast for dinner, cleaned that up and moved on to family night. Then we took the kids on a stroller ride around the neighborhood, even stopping at my Aunt Julie's house to "carol" to her. When we got home, the kids were happy and the house was still a wreck. I think now that I have 4 kids, I am starting to believe all the sweet old ladies who tell me, "Enjoy it while they are little--they grow up so fast," or some other variation of that sentiment. That thought has entered my mind a lot lately as I make the little decisions that make up my day and create a life. So I may not be the queen of any castle, but I'm working on being the queen of their hearts.
*if you like the banner, you can buy it here, or just contact me via comment below. It's cheaper if you do that!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

JrJr Moreys said...

Where we live now and I am out with all my children. I get all the time, boy you have your hands full. My response is, "And loving every minute of it." Then Kaelyn follows up with, "Why do people always say that." Then in my head I am glad of the response to their question.

RatalieNose said...

Youre the best.
I'm not guest posting on Camilles blog till thursday so i"m gonna post your link on mine right now.

Emily said...

oh your such a good mother, i will hopefully be half the mother you are. seriously what if i cant stand having my house dirty so i clean it all the time rather than spending time with my kids like you do?!! oh my!!

Holly Janeen said...

well said bekah.

my favorite line:
"as I make the little decisions that make up my day and create a life."

i feel that way every day. (go ahead and laugh- i only have ONE!) but seriously, every day i am faced with- do i hold charlie or put away the dishes? do i cuddle him or let him have tummy time? do i take a nap when he is napping or do i get my YW calendar done?
and by the end of the day... i re-evaluate.

i hope i can make the right kind of choices that YOU are making as a mom. i want to savor it.

and ps. it makes me feel so much better knowing that even PERFECT YOU has moments where their baby wont sleep unless its on your chest... i thought i was all alone!

Kim said...

I will tell her sis! and We are having a Bachelorette party on the 16th, but it will be a small group of about about 7 or so, so I think we might do dinner, but I am not sure! But thank you for your generous offer. You are far too kind! You already have the busiest life ever! Thank you for make the Sandwiches too, I know they will be the best things on this side of Texas!! Talk to ya soon sis!! Love ya