Thursday, April 23, 2009

Earth Day

I have a new take on Earth Day this year, touted as a day to take better care of the world, or the environment. Sometimes this causes me a lot of stress. I am one who doesn't buy disposable dishes, won't run the dishwasher unless it is entirely full, turns off the water as I wash my hands and often gets stressed out if my kids play in the hose. I fret and feel guilty about driving walkable distances for convenience, or if my kids flip the lights on and off repeatedly, leave the water running for even a short time or do something that seems to "waste [water, electricity, gas]." I used to use a manually-powered lawnmower, you know, the kind with no motor except you?
While my intentions are good, the outcome isn't always admirable. Usually I am frustrated and angry and my kids are bummed. So this year I am vowing to take care of my environment, my world. If it helps me keep my kitchen clean to run the dishwasher, I am going to run it. If my kids leave the water running, I'm not going to get upset. And I'm going to let my kids play in the hose and run in the sprinkler this summer.
I'll still use cloth diapers, and my recycling bin will still be more full each week than my trash. I'll still water my flowers out front with my dishwater--but mainly because it reminds me to do it, not because I'm saving a few gallons of water. I still will combine errands in the car or walk--but mainly because it saves me time or keeps me healthier. Most of the kids drawings will still be done on paper that has already been printed on the other side. But I'm not going to try to micro-manage the world anymore. It leaves me feeling helpless in the face of forces that I largely cannot control. Instead I'll manage my world--a place where my actions do have a big impact.
Abigail drew this during church on Sunday. She explained it was "that day in France when it rained and we were at the park with so many puddles and we had to under the slide to get out of it." Good memory. I'm sure Natalie will never forget that day either...
Happy Madeleine at 8 weeks.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Marily said...

Amen. I like the way you put it. Finding a middle ground. Because the Earth is important, but first the people on the Earth are important.

RatalieNose said...

Good for you!
And Oh goodness I sure do remember that day!!! *shudders at my stupidity*

Anonymous said...

Typical mormon. Have lots of kids, who will in turn zap resources, but don't feel guilty, because why? Your impact and footprint don't make a difference?
Why are you so entitled?

Sarah Blue said...

We did a different take on Earth day this year too. I taught my kids about Earth in relation to the other planets and stars, and a bunch of other outer-space stuff. It was lots of fun!