On February 25th Madeleine turned 1. I have never been a huge first birthday celebrator--just some extended family, gifts and cake have comprised our celebrations. Well, if it could get more low-key than that, it did. I don't know why I was feeling so overwhelmed or busy at the time, but I remember I did feel that way, and I knew Madeleine wasn't going to care too much what we did. My plans included finishing Madeleine's 1st year book on blurb. (which I did a month after her birthday) and making madeleines, a kind of French cookie, typically eaten with coffee and shaped like a seashell. (You can see a bit of what they look like in these pictures).
Well, this is where I start to get teary-eyed. My sweet children, somehow sensing a need for greater celebration put on a 1st birthday party for my sweet Madeleine. They brought the tables outside, rounded up chairs to sit in--notice the double stroller Avery and Warren are seated in, and had table decorations: fake flowers and candles. They picked tangerines, which are Madeleine's favorite food, so she would have more than just my madeleine cookies. They borrowed one of my HAPPY BIRTHDAY banners, hung it on the playhouse, and then Abigail added her own banner underneath, PRINCESS. HAPPY BIRTHDAY PRINCESS. I remember she was even careful to adjust the way it hung so it was centered. You can see it in the background of the above picture. They set up the roller coaster car and track nearby for an activity, and played on it with Madeleine. They even put that lovely little pink sparkly square sticker on Madeleine's forehead. Look back at the first picture--can you tell that Madeleine felt their love in a big way? (Oh, and right after I snapped that shot and before I put the camera down, Madeleine reached right out for that flame and snuffed it out with her hand. Ouch. But not too bad.)
Oh how dear are little children. They were so excited to give Maddie this party. They planned for it all day and were so proud to put it on for her. Pure. Innocent. Love. That's what that is. Later that night we celebrated again with our neighbor Jim. He made pie and had cake and ice cream, too. He even remembered the candle. I love M's blue eyes in this picture and the delighted expressions on my other children's faces. Truly a joy for one is a joy for all.

1 comment:
Oh,yay, how sweet. I love it when my kids think of each other. It's the greatest.
Post a Comment