Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Madeleine at 1 Month

A month ago Madeleine, you joined our family. Life was good before you came, but the love, peace, happiness, unity and laughter you brought with you make life even better now. Warren, Abigail and Avery all love to hold you, as evidenced by W's list to do during Spring Break--"huld Madlin." Dad loves to hold you, too. One night after caring for your needs and calming you, knowing Dad had work to do, I said, "It's okay if you set her down now." Dad looked back sheepishly and said, "Oh, I know. But I just want to keep holding her." He did. Even more notable is that I love to hold you. My mind is such that it is constantly racing ahead to the next thing to do. But your sweet spirit invites me to slow down, to linger, to live in the moment.
When you came you had huge cheeks; those were gone within the first few days, though your cheeks still draw loving comments and kisses from all. When you were born, you were our little blob; now you hold your head up, especially to look over our shoulders. You can turn your head and follow my face and voice around the room. I noticed that over a week ago. When you were born, your brief smiles seemed accidental and fleeting. Now--to the wonder and delight of anyone who notices--you smile in response to sustained attention. As promised, you truly bring happiness to those around you. You spit up a lot, and I am constantly checking over my shoulder before I go out to see what surprise you have left me there as evidence of your love :)
You are so content. Content to eat (and you eat in about 20-25 minutes, much faster than some of your siblings did as newborns). Content as we do our best to get you to burp--usually a well-rewarded experience. Content as you are awake and held by siblings, propped in the boppy, rocking in a swing or on a walk. Content as you drift off to sleep for a great nap; you never wake up after just a few minutes. You repeat this little cycle every 3 hours, give or take 30 minutes, and you only awaken once during the night, usually at 3:30. I guess you are what people call, an "easy" baby, or a "good" baby. But I don't like that last name--even if you were cranky and unpredictable, I'd still say you were good.
You bring out the good in others, you remind me to speak softer and gentler. You calm wiggly children. You inspire acts of service, and bring smiles to everyone who sees you. Thank you for these gifts and for choosing to come to Earth. I am so happy you are my daughter.
Love, Mom

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

RatalieNose said...

Oh this was Touching!!!!!!
Love love this little one!!!!

*Becky* said...

What a sweet little note to your baby!! You are so inspirational

The Barnette's said...

What a great Mommy you are.... I am living vicariously through you... still!

Caroline C. Bingham said...

Oh my gosh, that blanket is darling!

Anonymous said...

Oh she's so precious! I want to hold her so bad! Stop growing baby Madeleine till we get there! ;)

The McKnights said...

She is so sweet and beautiful! I love this post!

Meg said...

that was the sweetest post Bekah. Reminds me to write more little notes to my little one...