Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Going Green

Every St. Patrick's Day, my mom and her twin put on a party. This year it involved eating green eggs and ham, green grapes, green Hi-C, sausage and bran muffins (they were brown--just pretend.) We all wear as much green as we can and take a picture (note Sam's multiple layers of green shirts.) Then we played some goofy games and ate golden treasure (convenient that chocolate comes wrapped in gold.) Our families love any excuse to get together.
On another related note, we are using cloth diapers for Madeleine. Andy's cousin Julie uses them and we talked a bit about it, so she offered me all of her stuff her son has outgrown. I'm not I would ever have tried it if I'd had to make the initial investment, but since that was covered, we've been doing them. Here's why: I like that I am not throwing away diapers and I like that I am not buying diapers. Basically I'm a little bit green and cheap. Maybe my water bill will skyrocket and prove me wrong for both reasons, or maybe once Madeleine's only food source is not me and her poo stinks I will not be able to stomach it, but right now it is easy. And they really are cute.
(But I have no problem with other people using disposable diapers. I don't think I feel strongly enough about either to try to talk anyone into using either one. So please don't feel any pressure.)


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

angela hardison said...

She's such a darling.

Impressed that you're using cloth diapers... I'm not sure I would be able to handle that, but I think it's really great.

Marily said...

I could totally be convinced to do cloth diapers if I got them for free too. The fancy ones people use nowadays are expensive!

Martha said...

You could also get cloth diapers and the stuff at Once upon a Child in Gilbert. They have it all there too and it is not as much from what I have seen at other stores or on the internet.

Your baby is so very cute...

julie said...

wow - i'm so flattered i made your blog! if anyone out there does want to be convinced to use cloth...i'm your girl!! They are super cute and can be a big up-front investment...but really worth it. Especially if you have more than one kid. And there are lots of good resources for used diapers (which kinda sounds gross...but isn't).

RatalieNose said...

Wow I look really cute in that picture...oh wait I don't. But Madeleine makes me look good!

Brittanie said...

Oh my gosh! She is such a little doll!! Congratulations! I don't know if I commented yet - I've been so behind on reading blogs!! I totally agree - cloth diapers are so cute! I thought about doing them with Brenan but wimped out. They are pricey! =) I hope all is well! You guys are so cute! I love the St. Patty's day picture!

mishalee said...

Your baby is so sweet! Good for you on going cloth, for any amount of time!

I'm making most of mine and my MIL is making the covers. (I think sewing the PUL might prove to be a bit much for my limited skills.) So far we got a ginormous bag of diaper flannel at a yard sale for $5, a friend gave us yards of regular flannel and found PUL for $3/yard...looks like notions will be the big cost for us.

The more I read up on it, the more I'm convinced it can't be that hard. Ask me at the end of the year if I still feel that way...Good luck!