Sunday, July 19, 2009

I Don't Know Who Had More Fun and Shiny Objects


yWe belatedly set of our fireworks this week. I'm not sure who was more excited--Warren or Andy. So he (Andy) was pretty let down when the first one didn't rocket into the air as anticipated. However, after a second set of eyes on the less than adequate instructions, he had the second one sailing into the air with some lovely bursts of color.
Avery was also a bit disenchanted with her sparkler. I watched from a distance as she held it in one hand, and then curiosity got the best of her as she took her other hand and pinched her fingers right on the "sparkles". She wasn't hurt, and the whole episode was kind of funny to watch. I think she was just mesmerized and dazzled by the sparkling lights. Grown-ups get that way, too. For example, the day before we left, we had to/got to buy a new vehicle. We researched and found a van we really liked and finally got over the sticker shock (Andy and I think that no car should be over $15K), and were prepared to go and buy it and then we found another one, an SUV that also seats 8. And it was $10k less than the van. It was a great vehicle, and an awesome deal, but we had this shiny, glitzy brochure in our hands about the other one--the van. Both vehicles were great values and both met our needs, but the van had that "sparkler" appeal. If we had seen the SUV first, we'd have bought it in a heartbeat, but with the "sparkles" in our eyes, it was hard to see that was the better option. Thankfully, we didn't get burned. I called my very sensible mom, explained the situation and asked what she would do. She could see the appeal of both, but in the end said, "There is so much stress in life you don't have control over, this is something you do have control over. Which car payment is less stressful?" Well that did it. Gut feelings and good sense prevailed and we now have a Dodge Durango. And I love it. {Thanks mom. I really am so glad to have you to talk so many things over with}

4 comments:

LEWIS LOVERS said...

when me and brent heard you had an suv we were shocked. we cant wait to see it. and that fish is HUGE imagine that swimming past you in the lake. eek

RatalieNose said...

Haha I love watching Andy get into things! Mom really is so sensible! I love it!

Marily said...

Congrats on the new car. I really don't like making big purchases. We are squeezing our three kids into the one back row of our mid-size SUV for as long as we can. We actually haven't driven all three around together yet--hopefully they fit!

Emily said...

show a picture of your durango! i wanna see it!!