
Last Saturday we took an excursion to the Hood River area of Oregon. Just the drive there was beautiful, with the tops of peaks blending in mistily with the sky as if a water color painter had smeared the canvas where they met the heavens. Along the way, we stopped to eat a picnic lunch I had packed. Notice the jackets we have on. It was very chilly and windy and the kids enjoyed running around the nearby cabin playing "Narnia" and lightly quarreling over who had to be the White Witch and who was Lucy.

We went on to the fish hatchery, where we saw the biggest fish I have ever seen, a white sturgeon. (How would you like to catch one of these, Sam?) Sturgeon just keep growing, and the ones that live near the bottom of the dam wall are rumored to be 15 feet in length. We also saw great big rainbow trout. The kids kept thinking of my little brother, the Sam I mention above, who loves to fish.

After the hatchery, we went to the Hood River Recreation site to watch the windsurfers and kite-boarding. I had seen windsurfing, but never kite-boarding, and that looked so fun. The surfer has a huge semi-circular kite that he holds as he surfs, and when the wind or whatever is right, he can do huge jumps and flips in the air. Yes, the wind is really that strong. I have never been in stronger, more continuous wind, and this wasn't even a storm. Just normal weather.

After the Hood River, we toured a few stops on the Fruit Loop, a route of several farms and wineries that sell their fruit. We sampled all sorts of cherries at the first one, as well as several jams and preserves. It made me decided I have to make some jam while I am here. That is one of my goals this week. The second place had fruit, but they also had a great bakery and ice cream. Lots of ice cream for a little price. My favorite. We sampled cookies, ate ice cream and bought more cookies and pastries for later. A sweet day.
3 comments:
What a fun adventure!!!
Scary fish!!!
I want to come! Sounds like you guys are having a great time.
Oregon is gorgeous! And that fish could feed your whole ward, if you had a fishining line strong enough to reel it in with. ;)
Post a Comment