Sunday, January 04, 2009

Thoughts on Resolutions

I had a thought-provoking exchange with someone about New Year's resolutions, that prompted the following email.
" I wanted to clarify something: when we talked about resolutions for the New Year, I wasn't defending them, I was defending you--as in, I believe that you are totally capable of making and keeping a reasonable New Year's resolution, or at least making progress on one. I felt a lot like you one year. I wrote, instead of resolutions, a list of inevitables--things that were bound to happen. I think it was the year I was pregnant with Abigail, because I remember the list including, "Gain at least 10 pounds," and "Give birth." It might have included acknowledgment for some good things I was already doing, like, "Go to church each week," or "Continue to make dinner." Last year my resolution was to write, as Pres. Eyring counseled, each day a time I felt the Lord's hand/love in my life. I definitely did not even do this half of the time. But I did it sometimes, and because of it I have a great blog entry from Paris, my personal favorite, about how God led us to exactly the right place for our family. I also really did become more likely to acknowledge God's hand in my life and I am more likely to include it in my future journal entries. The point is, I became better as a result of the goal, even if I didn't attain perfection in it. I think that is a good measure of a resolution; will I become better in some way from attempting this, even if I don't achieve it fully?

Another suggestion, is just set a January resolution. I am much more successful at achieving short-term goals. Make it a one-week resolution, and choose a new one each week, that way you don't end up with a huge list that you forget about the entire year--as I so often did. My most successful resolution ever? Teeth-flossing. I've been doing it for several years now, and it was the only resolution I set that year, and I am confident it has benefited me. Simple, not glamorous, but practical, and achievable.

Anyway, I don't think there is any magic in setting a New Year's Resolution. None. Zip . Zilch. Isn't every day the anniversary of a year from last year on that date? I do think there is power in believing I can make and keep a commitment to myself and to God. So please don't sell yourself short by thinking you are incapable--you are far more capable than you know. I love this quote: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
(Marianne Williamson)

5 comments:

Holly Janeen said...

i like the thought of a January resolution... thanks for sharing all your wonderful thoughts.
i suppose the greatest resolutions we make are when we take the sacrament each week... resolving to be a little better, stand a little taller... and THAT is what we should resolve to do- use the atonement weekly and take it seriously... not just at new years :)
Happy New Year!

Kelsi Rose said...

Thanks for the Marianne Williamson quote. It was exactly what I needed to hear. It is also a good thought for New Years and setting resolutions.

RatalieNose said...

I helped you have a thought provoking conversation!!! That's fantastic! And yes you're right as usual! Thanks for the advice!

cherryl said...

that was beautiful inspiration for me bekah to make new years resolutions! i always do, but this year have been so busy and sick, havent had a minute. but i feel inspired now. thank you! i have told you a million times but i think you are so neat bekah. and you look SO great this pregnancy. i thought that at the christmas talent night, how beautiful you looked, but didnt tell you, shame on me! :) happy new years, see you at the cousins party!

Sarah Blue said...

That is a beautiful statement. I've never heard that quote before. I sure could have used it a few years ago. Fortunately I had other great quotes to pull from.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on resolutions. :)