Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Wish I'd Kept Warren Home Today


This is what hangs on Warren's bedroom wall. He made it himself the day after the election, and it was completely his own idea. I wish I'd kept him home from school today to watch the inauguration. I had it on all day as I made tortillas, mixed pancake mix, made lunch, exercised at the YMCA, cleaned up, worked on the computer. I think it is more TV than I watched all of last year combined, if you don't count the conventions and the debates, of course. Our kids watched those too. Their favorite was the Democratic National Convention, and it really was entertaining. Warren and Abigail had flags out waiving, and Warren later drew a picture, complete with loads of confetti. My favorite part of the inauguration this morning was the musical quartet that included Yo Yo Ma and Itzhak Perlman playing a John Williams arrangement of "Simple Gifts." It was gorgeous. You can watch it here. I loved watching how joyful Yo Yo looked as he played. I was glad Abigail got to see it.
I think it is important to note here that neither Andy nor I is a democrat or voted for President Obama, but we do respect the office of president immensely. We are so grateful that our nation repeatedly has a peaceful transfer of power. I hope our children always feel the same. Last night--Civil Rights Day--we had a Family Home Evening about treating everyone with civility, ending with the song, "Kindness Begins With Me." I am grateful to live in a nation that still believes this, even if we don't always live it, and I wish our new President, President Obama, and his family the best.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

I watched the inauguration too. It was a wonderful thing. And I agree, the quartet was absolutely thrilling!

I didn't vote for Pres. Obama either, but I have felt nothing but happiness since he won. And watching all the people who showed up for his inauguration today...it was such an overwhelming day for so many people. And I was grateful for them, that they had this great moment to remember.

John and Lisa said...

Jeri, Carla & Addie came home from school yesterday...their teachers showed it during class. They will never forget it. Regardless of how I voted, I can't help but be grateful that we watched history yesterday, and that our country is slowly, but surely, making progress. I'm with you...I've been praying for President Obama, and that his choices are led by the spirit. Great post!

RatalieNose said...

If Warren still wants to see some of the inaguration we have it recorded. :)

Holly Janeen said...

your child is so delightfully smart and intellectually mature.
i love it.

Meg said...

When I heard the Simple Gifts arrangement I was so thrilled, it was gorgeous.
And while I DID vote for President Obama more than watching him take the oath of office - the final Banadiction was so moving I ended up in tears.
We certainly live in a marvelous blessed country...