Monday, April 21, 2008

21 avril 2008

Today we stayed close to home--after 3 days of touring Paris by Metro and on foot, I figured the kids needed a day off. They played all morning while I rearranged/organized/cleaned. Our place is small--just about the size of our living room at home--and it's kind of run-down. Still, it looked better and felt better after I cleared off a lot of the surfaces we had just been piling stuff up on. Truly, the kids can make messes faster than I can pick up after them when they are playing, but that's okay, there isn't that much to mess up.
We went to the park this afternoon and Warren was so proud that he climbed to the very top of the rope-climbing-web. He kept calling down to me, "Mom--are you so proud of me?" Avery, Abigail and I blew bubbles that we had brought from Mesa. When we were at home in Mesa, I told Abigail we were bringing bubbles to blow in the park, and after that, she changed her mind and decided she wanted to go to France. So, we pretty much fulfilled her expectations for France as blew bubbles in the park. If only they hadn't spilled 2/3 of them in the first 5 minutes...Oh well, they sell bubbles in Paris, right?
We walked around the neighborhood a bit. I found another supermarket and bought some basics we needed and Avery gave up on me while we were in the long line and screamed and cried. We were quite the site, with the 3 kids in the stroller in the grocery store. There aren't carts that can hold kids here, just baskets to carry or pull, so usually I go shopping without the kids. After today, I am committed to shopping alone.
I bought a scarf, so now I look French--except for my 3 blond kids--and I am warmer. I tried to make crepes for dinner--I've made them in the states lots of times before--but I used the recipe on the bag of flour I got here and they were a disaster. In the end, we had grilled ham and cheese sandwiches instead of ham and cheese crepes.
After the girls were in bed tonight, I took a sanity walk all by myself. It was nice to be alone and to navigate corners, curbs and steps so easily. I didn't speak to anyone, so I probably looked just like any other Parisien going home for the night. It was nice to blend in.
Tonight, our friend got us the password to his friend's internet network so now I have access to the outside world! It was fun to read my emails and hear what is happening with the people back home. I will start practicing my online French program again, now.
Total steps today: 9,319
French words: marche: start; arret: stop; (hence, the A & M on our space heaters here)

7 comments:

Caroline C. Bingham said...

so, you guys moved to France? or is this like, a vacation thing? I need more information, missy!

Anonymous said...

yay, so fun to hear how it's been going so far! i love abby's bubble story! so cute! give the kids kisses for me!

Emily Lauren said...

I've been waiting for this post! It sounds like you've had quite the adventure. I still can't believe you're in France! How did the flight go? How was getting through security?

I loved reading about everything. now I just can't wait to see pictures :)

Elizabeth said...

Woot, she updated! Don't you just LOVE French scarves? I had my Mom get me one and a purse while she was there. She also got me chocolate...that wasn't good at all! I had extremely high expectations. Let me know if you find some that is really good, cause my faith in French chocolate is dead. Belgium, German, but not French. Hope you are having a fabulous experience!!

Anonymous said...

Rebekah! I had no idea you were in France. What brought you there and how long are you going to be there?!?! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

hi beccah:
I am in awe of you! After reading all of your ordeals lastest to oldest I can now see that things are going better. You have any incredible way of making a joy out of every situation, hurray for you. What a great experience, I am proud of you.
love
aunt bozzi

Anonymous said...

Beccah"
You are amazing! wHAT A GREAT ADVENTURE for all of you. Since you were young there was not anything that stopped you, now not even the metro can hinder you. I am so proud of you
love
aunt bozzo