Friday, April 25, 2008

On the Sunny Side of the Street

Another sunny day in Paris, so we headed off to Parc Monceau on foot, just before lunch. It is a big, beautiful park, with wide walking/jogging paths and big grassy areas; a children's play area and neat statues and old ruins all over the place. I thought this bridge was so picturesque, but you can't see the kids very well. Warren is the red shirt on the right, and Abigail is somewhere on the bridge.
We like watching ducks, wherever we go. The girls loved to be out of the stroller; after this, Avery pushed the empty stroller around for awhile.
The sandbox was even more entertaining than the ducks. Good thing I bought sand toys this week and that we brought them along. The kids made castles and cakes for at least an hour. Abigail would mix up the "ingredients" in a pail then carry it over to the slide to "bake." They got stressed out when other kids play with their toys--every kid wants our sand truck--but are getting better about sharing. Warren always asks me, "Mom, how do you say, 'This is ours.'?"
This picture does not do justice to this fabulous tree. The next picture shows one of it's quirks.

After eating lunch (bread from a local boulangerie, cheese, apples, salami) playing and meandering around Parc Monceau for several hours, we set off another walking tour card and passed the Russian Orthodox Cathedral. I would've liked to see the inside, but Avery was asleep and there was no way I was going to wake her up. So we contented ourselves walking around the exterior.This whole street was a street market; now both of the girls were asleep. Warren and I enjoyed sampling small pieces of pineapple and canteloupe. I wish I could say I spent my last 2 euros here, but I didn't.
I spent them here, at the street candy market we passed shortly afterwards. Warren was so amazed, and he had been such a good helper and traveller, so we went back and bought him a little bag. He ate each piece so slowly in little bites--it was sweet to see.
We headed for the Arc de Troimphe next; well, I thought I was, but I was actually walking the wrong way on the street. I figured that out after maybe a half-mile, maybe more, maybe less. We met up there at a small children's park, and then picked up some dinner to eat at the park. Usually when we eat, we do as the Parisians do and eat on the benches, but the 6-inch grass was so cool and inviting, we sat down like tacky Americans and ate on the grass.
Doesn't Avery light up when she knows her picture is being taken? We walked home with Andy--yeah! he can push the stroller--and added about 20 minutes to our journey by missing a street, but oh well. It added to my step count. As we walked into our yard, Abigail said, "That was a great day." I'm glad they don't resent me dragging them around.
Total steps today: 28,497 (my pedometer estimates that at 9.88 miles, based on the stride-length I entered; definitely passes my record from yesterday)
French word: poussez (push; it's on doors) Hey, maybe that's why a stroller is called a poussette.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

What an amazing day Bekah! I'm so happy that you get to be in France! It's such a beautiful country and you're taking complete advantage of it. Hooray! And again, how amazing that you're there! :)

Elizabeth said...

Fact of the day: if my sources are correct, that is the church Stravinsky attended. :) Few people can appreciate that. What a GREAT climbing tree. Man, I would've been up that thing as quick as possible...I need to get myself to Paris.

Unknown said...

Cool tree! Cool parks! Sweet Avery smile for the picture. I would've definitely spent my last 2 euros at the candy market as well. (Warren is looking so grown up!)

Unknown said...

You probably guessed that Casey didn't write those comments. ;) I'm using his account, but forgot to write Tiff at the end!