This is out of order, but I'm putting it in anyway. This is the first few days of our trip to France. I have some pictures, but it is late and I have to figure out how to do that here, so, I'm just going to go ahead and post. It's long, so consider yourself warned. I wrote all this on the 18th, and it covers the 14th-18th.
18 avril 2008
I've been without my journal for the duration of our trip thus, far, so I'll update until this point.
Day 1:
After 4 hours of sleep, I awoke at 5:30 am to get ready to go to the airport. Après quatres heures de dormir,je me reveille à cinq heures trente me prépare aller à l'aeroport. I really thought, "If I had a choice between going to France right now or going back to sleep, I would choose sleep." But considering we'd already bought $4000+ of airline tickets, that wasn't really an option. I felt sick to my stomach--whether it was the 4 desserts I'd eaten the night before or nervousness I'll never know--so when we picked up Gordon at 6:15 to take us to the airport, Andy got me a bowl of Mini-wheats, since the Poptarts my kids were eating looked unpalatable. I felt much better after eating them.
At the airport, we unloaded our mountains of luggage on to 2 carts, packed the kids in our triple stroller, said goodbye to Gordon and headed for baggage check and security. The line wasn't very long, but when we did get to the counter, it took over 30 minutes to get tags printed for our bags. I don't know why. The kids did really well just sitting there, which felt like a good omen. When we finally got done there, we dropped our bags of for screening and headed for security. I told the kids, "Security is the best part of the airport because it's the part of the trip where you get to eat fruitsnacks in line!" So we busted into our snack reserve--more on this later--and ate fruit snacks all through the line, which moved along at a nice pace. The stroller negotiated the twists and turns of security really well. We made it through without any glitches and set out for our gate.
We boarded our plane and we had our first chance of many to ask people to accomodate us: our seats were spread out in 4 sections on the plane. 2 in one aisle, 1 in the aisle opposite, 1 in the aisle in front of the 2 and 1 more several aisles up in the emergency exit row. Hmm--imagine: Bekah and Avery, Warren across the aisle, Abigail in front of me and Andy in the exit row, since kids can't sit there. Well, Andy asked the lady in the aisle seat in front of us if she would trade him seats. She replied, "Only if that seat reclines." She went to check. It didn't. At this point she decided that not trading him seats pretty much made her the Wicked Witch of the West and said, "Well, I'll be nice and trade." Now we had 2 and 2 behind eachother, still, that left one seat all alone across the aisle. Warren was sitting in it. This nice, elderly couple was sitting across the aisle from eachother between me and Warren. As they became aware of our situation, the grandmother volunteered to trade Warren's middle seat--which was next to her husband--for her aisle seat next to me. So we finally had 2 rows on the same side of the plane. It was so nice of both people to trade us, but funny how I'm still a little bitter about the first lady just because her manner of trading was so unlike the nice grandma-lady's was. I'm sure theres a lesson in people skills available there for me.
So the plane ride to Atlanta went really well. Our kids loved trading seats and opening the wrapped-up toys and games in each of their backpacks--thank you Laura for the idea, and Molly for the wrapping paper left from Christmas. I really think that our performance on the plane makes us eligble for parents of the year :) Abigail got really nervous during take-off and landing: she almost shook she was so tense, but beside that, our ride was pretty uneventful. We got to Atlanta, got some food at the airport that didn't include crackers, processed cheese or high-fructose corn syrup and boarded our next plane to Paris. We sat in the very front row of the center section of the plane and the row behind it. The movie screen was RIGHT in front of us, which would've been great if my kids would've liked the movies. Unfortunately, they didn't and the screen mainly kept them awake. Avery was especially hard to get to sleep, but eventually we did. Before our plane took off, I was a little concerned to hear Andy talking to our French landlord--who is in LA right now--about whether or not something was "okay" with her and if we could still get in the house tomorrow. I figured no one could be that unkind and put it out of my mind.
Day 2:
About 4 hours into the flight the kids were all asleep, and so was I, after watching 2 movies. I awoke though, when the 3rd one started and couldn't fall asleep again. So on the entire flight, I got about 30 minutes of sleep. They were bringing breakfast around at what was about 6:30 am Paris time and I thought, "You're kidding--my day is just starting?" Still, I forced it down, washed my face with the handy wipey they provide, put my makeup on and decided I could do this. At this point, I asked Andy if we were going to be able to go to our house. He said no and explained because our landlord had not given us her apartment number in LA, UPS had been unable to deliver our deposit check to her the previous day, and had not attempted again that day. They would deliver the next day and she refused to let us enter until she had the check in her hands. And to think I thought I'd already met the Wicked Witch. I spent the rest of the flight trying not to cry. At least the lady I sat by commented on how well-behaved our children were; she said her 4 yr. old grandson would have never sat like Warren. We landed, woke up our kids and waited until everyone was off the plane to get our multitude of things off.
Charles de Gaulle airport is beautiful, and empty at 7:30 am, which made it easy to get around. Still, couldn't it be designed so that instead of having to take 1 elevator up and then 4 separate ones down just to get to the baggage level, we could just take one? Luckily, although the elevators are much smaller than the US, the stroller fit with no room to spare on either end. I could squeeeze in along with it, but Andy always had to take the next one with all our carry-on baggage. We got the the baggage carousel; it was easy to find ours, since we were the only people there and ours was the only baggage left. Andy called the pick-up service we had reserved and we went to meet them at the appointed spot. It was a long wait, but we didn't have anywhere to go--literally--so it wasn't a big deal, except that it was cold. Unseasonably cold. I found the kids jackets and kept busy practicing my french on a nice woman who was concerened that I didn't have a jacket.
Our van came with one other passenger--a nice British lady--and we set off to find a hotel. The kid
were quiet and calm, and the ride was uneventful except that Avery launched vomit the color of cheese crackers all over herself and the seat in front of us. Yeah for diaper wipes! We were told there were no decent hotels in the 18th arrondissment where our apartment was, but our driver knew of a good one in a close arrondissment where the kids would stay for free. We got there. It was full. So were the next 2 hotels we tried. Finally, the fourth had rooms and we left our friendly driver for our the unknown. It was 11 am, so we couldn't check in yet. I was exhausted, so we walked the mall next to our hotel very slowly until noon. We bought the kids some icecream--their only request once they heard we weren't going home yet--and then went to our hotel.
The next part of our journey is pretty depressing, so if you're not up for it, skip to the next day. I'm actually glad to be writing this a few days after the fact, because I was a wreck that day. Keep in mind I slept 30 minutes on the plane, 4 hours the night before, and 6 the night before that. I had eaten a diet of mainly beef jerkey, fruitsnacks, orange juice and airplane food. Before we left we had been super-stressed about how we would get to our place with our 3 kids, 8 checked bags, 5 carry-ons, triple stroller and carseat. Once we had reserved a transport though, we were feeling pretty good. Now we had to figure out another way to get us to our place--again. And vans don't run cheap. Nor do hotel rooms, even little, tiny ones that have one double bed with a twin bunk bed over the top of them and are hot and stuffy. And we were told we had to have 2. When we got to our room, I collapsed on the bed and cried and cried and cried. Andy needed to use the internet signal in the lobby, so he went down and I let the kids run crazy around the room around me while I lay on the bed in a daze. At some point, Andy came back and said he'd talked to our landlord's friend--Jullien--who lives here in Paris and was responsible for giving us the key. He said he'd let us in anyway--what a saint. But there was the insurmountable and expensive task of getting us there. If we left now, the hotel said we could cancel both of our rooms. I said, "Okay, let's go," but then burst into tears--again--of exhaustion. It became apparent to Andy I couldn't go anywhere and I couldn't be of any help at that moment. He still needed to go meet Jullien and deposit our rent money into our landlady's bank account. He volunteered to take Warren with him, plus 2 large suitcases. He figured it would make us more mobile later. I felt bad because I knew Warren was tired, to say nothing of Andy, but he told me not to worry, so I was selfish and didn't. They left to take the Metro and I put Avery, Abigail and myself down for a nap. Despite it being freezing outside, our room was hot and stuffy since it faced the afternoon sun. The AC didn't work. We still slept. At some point we woke up and it felt like it had been a long time. I couldn't reach Andy on the cell phone and I felt pretty scared. I felt awful when I thought of him and Warren dragging 2 suitcases around on the Metro. Finally, we connected via phone and he said he was on the way back to the hotel.
They got back, and their trip sounded every bit as hard as I imagined, but at least it was over. We were still going to try to get to our house that evening. So we packed everything up, stuffed the stroller bin as full of gear as we could and left the hotel. We got as far as the bus stop when I realized we were somehow all supposed to get on the bus: stroller, bags, kids, carseat. And we had still left some of our gear behind that Andy would have to come back and get tomorrow. I started crying again. Poor Andy. Somehow his companion-candidate for "Parent of the Year" got left on the plane and traded in for a fourth child. We realized that riding the bus, transferring to the Metro and then walking the half-mile or so to our house (including the huge flight of stairs to get out of the Metro) was probably out of our reach on a good day, and pretty much impossible and next to suicide on a day like this. So we turned around and walked the 50 yards back to our hotel, and spent the night in our hotel room. We ate the snacks I pilfered from our 72 hour kits back home for dinner--thanks mom for the tuna and crackers and especially the applesauce--and went to bed. It was a long night after a long day and if it sounds depressing, you're right. It was. I even remember telling Andy, in complete seriousness, that I wanted to go back home. And I did. If I could have, I'd have gotten on a plane and left Paris behind. It was that bad.
Day 3:
Everything looks better in the light of a new day; not tons better, but at least I wasn't lobbying for a return-flight anymore. We woke up at 10 and needed to figure out a way to our house and be checked out by 11. We did and met our blue taxi van at 11. The driver was nice. Yeah for nice people. Our stroller barely fit, but in the end we were all in and on our way. The city still didn't look friendly, and watching the meter on the taxi go up wasn't helping any. Our street looked especially trashy and run-down (not in a cute way) when we arrived at our gate, which was...the entrance to a parking garage. "I live in a parking garage. Great." That's what I was thinking. We got through our gate, rolled our gear down the cobblestone for about 30 meters and there on the right was our gate. It looked just like it had in pictures, so at least that wasn't a surprise. We unlocked the door and my first impressions were:
1. It looks a little better than in pictures.
2. It looks more open than in pictures (don't get any big ideas though: it is still very small!)
3. The piano was for real.
4. Why does everyone in France smoke!? Oh well, I've smelled much worse, and 2 days later, I'm used to the faint lingering smell.
I smiled for real for the first time since we got off the plane.
I unpacked while Andy took the kids to the park, and then the girls and I napped while Warren and Andy went back to the park. I felt much better after all that.
17 avril 2008, jeudi
Today I went to the park for the first time; it's a great park, with an upper level for older kids and a lower level for small children. The toys are fun and inviting, it's clean, the kids love it, and it's very close to our house. What a blessing that testifies to Heavenly Father knowing our needs, even when we don't know what to ask for.
Total steps today: 4,613 (Still a little terrified)
French words I learned: tobogan: slide (noun); poussette: stroller; assi: Sit down!; l'escalier: stairway
18 avril 2008, vendredi
We took out a walk using one of my guidebook walks up to Sacre Couer today. I think it was a turning point for me to realize that thoughts in my mind are generally scarier than the reality that plays out when I go out with the kids. It wasn't always easy, but it was mostly very enjoyable. We had 4 staircases to navigate with the stroller, and so many people helped us. Nothing reaffirms the kindness that is out there than a stranger helping me.
Total steps today: 10,119 (I'm feeling braver today!)
French words I learned: yeux: eyes; complet: whole (on bread, it means whole grain)
7 comments:
Holy cow!! I figured it'd be quite crazy trying to maneuver all your luggage and the kids, but then for it to be so much more difficult since you couldn't get into your house right away just made me cry right along with you while reading it!! :( I'm glad you're there safe and hope you have adventures that are more fun! I'm glad they have a fun park for the kids!
How fun to read about your adventures (whether they be stressful or happy). Hope all is going well; what a fantastic adventure...
Can't wait to see some photos!
wow. You're a better woman than me, traveling with kids.
What an awful start to your Paris Adventure. I'm glad that you were able to get into your apartment. Having a "home"--a same haven that you can escape to after a long, hard day--always makes things better. Good Luck! :)
Hi Bekah, What a vivid description of your amazing experiences getting to France and finally into your "home". I was totally living the experience with you but this morning I realized I was doing it from the body of a 64 year old which takes things a lot harder than a 25 year old. I could hardly sleep last night, but this morning was glad to read about your new adventures and see that you have rebounded and are "carpei diem"-however it is spelled.
As Pete and I talked about it he mentioned that Paris in the spring is probably beautiful and exciting. And I couldn't help but notice that Andy is such a man the way he took care of the unexpected needs and challenges of his family. What a wonderful thing to have such a husband.
I LOVE the way you count the stairs! My new knee is feeling great and I will do the other one sometime this year. So, when you climb up them, think of me, because I will be dying to know what is at the top! Love, Janet and Peter Thornton
Bekah,
It was so wonderful to read your blog and catch up on all your adventures. I'm so proud of you all! We miss you but we are enjoying getting to read about your adventures. Love TuTu
Bless your sweet heart!
Post a Comment