Thursday, September 16, 2010

Preschool and Avery

Avery,

You started preschool this month--September 2010. I almost waited to have you start--you are so sweet to have around, but you wanted to go so much! Every time we've visited Warren and Abigail's school before you've always been wide-eyed and engaged by all the "works." The night before your first day was Preschool Open House; W&A had already attended their open house, so I just planned to take you, but Abigail was begging you to let her go. After much pleading, you told her she could come, "If you wear Sunday clothes."

You were so delighted to find your name on a cubby, and you pointed out all the letters. You are really good at this. Often as we drive, you call out from the backseat, "I just saw 2 letters from my name! A & V" or whatever letters you saw. You ask me what signs say, and often ask, "What is this word that has a {letter} in it?"

As I watched you both, spontaneously holding hands, walking together into this new phase of life, I was so grateful you have each other. I hope you are always dear friends like you are now.
The next morning, you were thrilled to be getting out of the car at drop-off. All your life you've stayed and called out your goodbyes and I love you's. Now you were going. You were bursting with excitement.

It's been 3 weeks now, and tonight you were telling Aunt Tiffany--via email--about preschool. This is what you said:
"I did button work. [long pause] Um, you get a sponge and there is water and a plain bowl and you dip it in and you put it into the plain bowl. And I did --I know one, I know one! Puzzles! And then--that's all. No, I did another work. A hammering work, and then a pouring work where it has green things and you put it into the plain one. A pink tower. I think that's all. Oh, play time outside, and then you wash your hands when you're going inside and then you sit down at gathering again and they pick someone to get--to set the tables, and I did one time one day. They picked us to go back to gathering again after we did that and get our lunch boxes. And we didn't have to go the fridge, because some people got them out. And then we get up and we get all our dishes and put them in the dishwasher and go back to the table and we get choosed by the table leader--we go like this, we point to each other--to close our lunch boxes and line up by the door and sit on the benches and wait for our moms and dads. Oh one more thing--when we, when we, when we, hmm, when moms pick us up and then we sometimes go with Gabriel's dad, or Nicci--she's Gabriel's mom--or our mom picks us up. And that's all."
It took about 5 minutes of chatter interspersed with thought-filled pauses. You were so animated. Pure delight.

No comments: