Thursday, September 16, 2010

In Which Abigail Gives a Gift

Abigail has a very good friend, Gabriel, who she loves dearly. As she gets dropped home from school by his mom each day, she calls out, "Tell Gabriel I love him!" This behavior isn't limited to Gabriel, but, he might be the most frequent recipient. Anyway, growing up has been hard on their friendship, at least from Abigail's perspective. Just last week she was telling me she wasn't sure they could be friends anymore since, "All Gabriel ever talks about is Batman, and sometimes I want to talk about princesses and stuff." Really, she mentioned it several times over a few weeks. Well, Gabriel had a birthday and Abigail must be gaining perspective on the give and take of friendship because she requested we give him:
-a CD of "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells"
-a coloring book of Batman
-a picture she would draw of Batman

I made the recording, just accompaniment for him to sing to, and she is so excited to give it to him. After school today, we printed off several Batman coloring pages she chose for him. After stapling them together, she made a cover for the book: CULRE GABREL and colored it all in. She drew the picture of Batman and friends--I know Batgirl was there, but there were more--yesterday. Of course, she selected her own gift bags and couldn't resist giving them to him when she saw him today.

Later I got this email from his mom:
"I just had to share with you how excited Gabriel was about the gift Abigail gave him. He loves it so much! He already colored all the pictures while he was at Grandma's tonight. Then when he was finished, he dictated a story to Grandma for each page. When he got home, he wanted me to read the story to him for bed. Daniel said that he was asking all sorts of questions about growing up, getting married and if he would remember being little. It eventually came out that he was worried that he would forget to marry Abigail when he grows up.
I just can't stop laughing and smiling at how cute they are!"

What a sweet gift from the heart.

1 comment:

RatalieNose said...

How did I miss this one!?!?! I'm so glad Abby's going to have fun memories of guy friends while she was little-not memories of constantly fighting, hitting people with bags of books, chasing with tennis racquets etc.