After much delay and procrastination, and despite a load of unfilled Etsy orders and a really messy house, tonight we put up our Halloween decorations. My kids would say our "fall" decorations, and they are right, I am not much of a Halloween decorator. Luckily after they unloaded all the decorations onto the rug and found them lacking, Warren and Abigail decided to make their own "homemade decorations, the best kind," as Warren said knowingly. This is is pumpkin with chicken pox. (Really, that's what he said)
About 9:00, Warren got hungry and I had wanted chocolate chip cookies all day, so we turned on some Halloween music and made cookies. I let them eat at least 5 "dough balls" each. They relish the opportunities to pour, to stir, to crack eggs.
Pretty soon after we put the cookies in the oven, Warren fell asleep on the couch. Abigail, however was still going strong. She decorated the Thankful tree with all the paper leaves on hooks, and she was so starry-eyed over the whole thing, you'd have thought she was decorating the Christmas tree. Really, she was almost crying she was so happy. The whole night she kept saying things like, "This is the best night I ever sawn"; "This is the best night ever" (at least 6 times and even as she was cleaning); "Mom, I'm going to have to tell the Yuma cousins about this night" (me and the kids are going to Yuma tomorrow); "This night feels just like Halloween"; "This is the most perfect night ever." Really. I did not make any of those up. My favorite moment was, "I'm happy with the way I am. I bet you're happy with the way you are, too, Mom. (Pause) Because that's the way God made us."
She made me this heart and said it was the best heart she had ever made. This picture pretty much captures the night for her--full of love and homemade fun. At the end of all the moving stuff around on the shelves to make room for the Fall decor, a plaque I made that reads "A home of peace, righteousness, spirituality, fun and laughter" was lying on the couch, homeless. Abigail found it and placed it on the mantel, right in the center (but not until after I had taken the picture below.) She didn't know what it said, but it had special meaning for me, like a "They lived happily ever after" at the end of a story.

7 comments:
I just love that starry-eyed look little girls get when they feel like they're in heaven!! :)
Hannah made some Halloween decorations, too. It's not one of my favorite holidays, so I usually go for Autumn-type stuff a little more. But she wanted some signs up, so you should come by our house to see them. They crack me up!
My mom is a huge believer in the simple memories that come from the preparations leading to an event or holiday. I am seeing that more and more over the years. The kids remember the nights like this one. I wish more people would remember that you don't have to spend a lot of money to entertain or make memories with your kids...just time!
what a little sweetheart. so full of love.
Oh Abigail!!!!
This makes me so happy!!
Always I am touched to hear and read about you and the kids and your mantle looks SO beautiful!
Bekah I was SO excited to see your banner featured on Not Martha today! WOW!
Your kids are so beautiful, inside and out...they must get that from their fabulous Mama! ;)
First of all, though this has nothing to do with the greatness of your post. I love, LOVE your trick or treat garland. Soooo cute! Ok, now, super cute post! Abigail is adorable, and it does sound like the best night EVER, especially to a 5 year old. (ok truth, i don't know how old she is). And finally, I'm so glad to know that you too crave chocolate chip cookies and are silly enough to start making them at 9:00 at night. PERFECT!
Post a Comment