Sunday, December 14, 2008

Inspired


Saturday was like one big party. We started the day with Abigail's first dance recital. You may have to click on the collage above to be able to see the pictures. First, I decided next time, I'm asking a parent who doesn't have a kid in the number to take the pictures and film; I kept getting caught up watching on this tiny screen what was happening in life-size dimensions just feet away. Silly mom. Abigail did great. I've seen them practice, so I knew she was a little disoriented being on the end, which is not her usual place, but I was still pleased that she was pleased with her performance. She watched the other girls a lot and would repeat the movement about a second later. It was so cute.
The top left picture shows Warren seated next to Abigail right after she performed. He sat there with her like that for the rest of the performance. Their relationship is so sweet; they play together so much at home, and though they would never admit it, they are best friends. (Which reminds me of a funny story; we take 2 other little girls home from kindergarten each day, and one of them says that Warren is her "worst" friend. I don't blame her, Warren is pretty antagonizing in the back seat, and who knows what he is like to her at school...Anyway, last week, he shared something with her on the way home and then asked excitedly, "Am I your best friend now?" She matter-of-factly replied, "No, but now you are my second-worst friend." Warren beamed and announced proudly, "I'm her second worst friend and that is one more than her worst!")
In the afternoon, Warren, Abigail and I went to Ballet Etudes production of "The Nutcracker" at the Mesa Arts Center. I had prepared myself for the possibility that we might have to leave early if the kids got bored; after all, the show was for them, and I wanted it to be a good experience. Well, they so far surpassed my expectations--they loved it and sat/stood so well for both acts of the show. Warren occasionally would be so entranced he would comment out loud, which was fine in this room full of parents, grandparents and kids. My favorite exclamation was to the lady seated to his right, when the "snow" started falling: "Wow! It must be snowing outside and the snow is leaking inside the building!"
Speaking of snow, we went to the Tempe Town Lake Light Parade and festivities, which included snow. When we told the kids, they immediately asked for a carrot to take so they could build a snowman. So we gathered up a carrot, raisins and sticks. For our 10 minutes of snow play time, we built this little guy, and Warren also slid down the mound. They loved it. Afterward, a machine was blowing fake snow over the crowd and Warren was captivated, trying to catch the flakes in his hand. It was beautiful to watch. I have to admit, our snowman was inspired by Uncle Lance and Aunt Kim's Christmas card where they are posing by a miniature snow man. That card has been so "loved" at our house, I can't even tape it up on the wall one more time. But I think Avery will be more comfortable with them next time she sees them, and that was the whole idea behind putting it down low where she could reach it.

I included the video below because to me, it is far better than any dance recital. I love how free Abigail is, how uninhibited, how confident. She is so comfortable moving through the space, and if you watch it long enough to see the curtsy/bow about 3/4 of the way through, you'll be impressed. Well, maybe not, but I happen to have seen her other attempts at curtsying in dance class, and they are sad, sorry, misshapen little movements. This one is no doubt achieved after watching so many dancers do it throughout the Nutcracker. Abigail was really inspired by all the dancing--a good reminder to me that not just participating, but also watching art, dance and music is vital for the development of a child.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sarah Blue said...

I loved the ballet costume. So cute! And I love Warren's attitude. He is such a nice boy and really doesn't seem to get offended very easily. Such a wonderful attribute!

Laurie said...

Oh, that curtsy's adorable!!

Anonymous said...

Why that is the cutest ballerina and best curtsy I have ever seen Abigail!!

RatalieNose said...

Oh my goodness!!! Cutest thing on this side of Texas!!!!