Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ouch

$350. That is how much a root canal, laughing gas and metal crown are going to cost to replace the cavity filling that fell out of Warren's tooth, causing a huge mess and lots of pain. I don't know what feels worse: his tooth or my savings account. Add to that the $58 office visit that lasted all of 8 minutes, and I am cringing in pain.
The dumb thing is, I have the money, safely tucked away in my Health Savings Account. Money in this account doesn't even figure into our bottom line, so when I spend it, it's not like I even have to see it come off that figure. Still, I cannot keep my mind from looking around and translating that $408 into other, more desirable outcomes, like, a couch without rips, money toward a bathroom remodel, an entire month of groceries (usually not even that much!!!)...This is not a healthy way to spend my mental energy.
I did try to think what else I was getting for my $408, and realized that I got to spend a lot of time with Warren, since he had 2 dentist appointments today. We didn't have any monumental conversations, but we were together. We talked. If the whole mess didn't involve dental issues, I probably would've even bought us ice cream to add to the special-ness of the day. But that would be like rubbing salt on an open wound. I got an opportunity to practice being a big girl at Relief Society tonight by not whining to anyone about it--I'm saving that for here. I got to practice my bravery, calling back the dentist to ask several questions I'd been too embarrassed or too sticker-shocked to ask when I was in office. And I now have an iron-firm resolve to floss my kids teeth every night, and teach better brushing skills. We are good with the quantity, but maybe not so much the quality. No more!
Just think, for $408 I bought: motivation to brush and floss my kids teeth without slacking, a lesson in people skills, a lesson in accepting defeat gracefully and a day with my son. What a deal. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

4 comments:

Emily said...

way to think. we think alot alike, i just got 2 doctors bills for past visits and was not happy about it either.. oh well

Sarah Blue said...

Good luck with the root canal!

Anonymous said...

i just love listening (or, reading) your thought process bekah. good job on finding the positive things that came out of this. PRICELESS!! :)
But I also cringe for warren. ouch. it makes me want to brush/floss my kids' teeth better too. i can learn from your experiences too!

RatalieNose said...

You are inspirational!