Sunday, September 13, 2009

Reconnecting

On Thursday I had my hair curly since I had slept on it wet. One of my students asked me, "Did you just wake up?" "No," I replied. "Well, did you comb your hair today?" I tried to show my hair here so you could be the judge, but you can't really see how funky my hair is.
I've decided I can't just keep adding to my "to-read" list on Goodreads; that I need to start reading some of them. So to this end, I downloaded "My Life in France" on Andy's Kindle last night. It's delightful to read about Paris in the late 1940's, and how similar it often seems to my Paris of 2008.
Also last night, I pulled out my old Chopin Etudes Urtext--thanks mom and dad for the expensive collection of piano books I own--and started learning one that my junior high piano teacher assigned me but I never learned because I didn't think I could. It's in Gb, but I'm a lot better with key signatures now, and have lot more practice techniques under my belt. It was fun to "practice" again.
Today I looked up some old music theory text to figure out how to use a modulation that I used incorrectly playing for a choir today. It felt nice to look something up and re-learn it.
Two things that used to make up such a huge part of my self-defined identity--reading and piano. It's like coming home to myself. I wouldn't say I've missed them, as I am quite happy with my current season of life, so maybe it is more like reconnecting with an old friend (Which, by the way, I did on Friday).
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

✩Molly✩ said...

It's always nice to be reacquainted with an old friend.

RatalieNose said...

I love your hair like that. I meant to tell you Thursday night but didn't get around to it.

Emily said...

i dont wash or do my hair for like 5 days so go for it. and i need to bedome reacquainted with myslef these days. thanks for the post

Elizabeth said...

How fun! I thought about getting that book, but decided to wait to find someone who had already read it...I started reading Julie & Julia, and, well...some of the content is just AWFUL...glad to hear that Julia Child's book is good, I will have to get it...

Laurie said...

I need to do this! I was just thinking yesterday about how different my interests are right now from what they were 6 or 7 years ago. I need to reconnect.

cherryl said...

I loved the last paragraph about how that use to be you, but you are still happy with the season of life now, like reaquainting with an old friend!! Beautiful words that made me ponder and thankful I feel the same way. Reading it made me sad I didn't talk to you much last night, I admire you tons! I am a fan of Bekah!