Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Scarier Than Halloween

What's scarier Halloween? You'll know by the end of this post. Halloween was great fun.
Our day started with pumpkin pancakes--which Warren had the idea to also cut into pumpkins with a cookie cutter--and apple cider syrup (recipes below, if you are interested.) We set out our jack-o-lanterns at our neighbor's annual display (we weren't going to be home to check on them) and set off to trick-or-treat our neighbors. Our kids didn't even recognize our next-door neighbor in his redneck costume! After our neighborhood, we headed over to Grandma Lindy's house for dinner and more trick-or-treating. My favorite was Avery. Our other kids just didn't get it when they were around her age, but since Avery had Abigail and Warren to watch, she ran enthusiastically to each door, feet going so fast she almost looked like a real fairy flitting around. Andy's only regret was that he didn't think to attach a bell just over her booty that would've jingled as she ran, like the original Tinker Bell had in plays. Our kids got pretty tired--especially Warren--and on the way back to Grandma's, Avery sat down on the curb and commanded me, "Sit! Eat!" So we took a break and ate some candy. It was sweet, and funny, since a little girl came up to us and said, "Trick or treat!"
By the end of the next day, the kids had eaten, with my encouragement, all of their Halloween candy. It's so great to have that over with.

So, what is scarier than Halloween? Making political phone calls. I spent Monday morning making calls to get out the YES vote on AZ's prop. 102--the marriage amendment. I was fidgety and stumbling over words. I once called the state constitution the state consti-ta-tion, which sounds an awful lot like constipation. I did get better, especially at the answering machines, but I think my heart still raced a bit every time I got an actual person on the line. Generally, though, most people were cordial, some even very kind. I had only a few "bad apples" and mainly they were just tired of political calls. Who can blame them? The 3 hour morning actually went by quickly, since I ended up sitting by my good friend Marily and her husband Mark. We laughed and bantered between calls, trying out responses that we would never actually say on the phone. Marily even wrote out our message as a rhyming poem and pretended to leave it on someone's answering machine. I'm glad to do my small part for an issue I care about, but I have to be honest: I'm glad it's over!

Apple Cider Syrup
1 cup water ( I used all juice and no water)
1 cup apple juice or cider
1 Tb. lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tb. corn starch
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. salt

Combine dry ingredients and mix well. In a sauce pan heat water, apple juice or cider, and lemon juice. Slowly add dry ingredients, stirring as you add. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute. Lower heat & simmer until desired thickness. Serve immediately. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge & reheated in the microwave.

Pumpkin Pancakes
2 c. flour (I use whole wheat)
2 T. brown sugar
1 T. baking powder
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/8 t. ginger
1/8 t. ground cloves
1 t. salt
1 egg
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1. 3/4 c. milk
2 T. veg. oil

1. Combine flour through salt in large bowl.
2. Combine egg through oil in a small bowl.
3. Add the small bowl of wet ingredients to the large bowl of dry and stir just until mixed.
4.Spray hot griddle and cook.

4 comments:

John and Lisa said...

AMEN to making scary phone calls! I found myself cursing under my breath (not really cursing...but you know what I mean!) after stumbling on words on so many people's answering machine. How professional is THIS?: "Your vote is very important....thank you. You guys have a great day...bye bye." Guys? GUYS???? Or how's this: "Have a great day...and have a great afternoon." What was I THINKING?? OH well. Rebekah, I had no idea you were nervous doing those phone calls...I kept looking over at you, and Jan, and Sherri, and everyone else I knew there, and even all the people there I didn't know...and thought "Why can't I be be more confident? What am I so scared of?" You hid your fears well. I hope I did the same.

KP said...

I admire your drive to do all the service that you do along your way of motherhood! Your other posts are so funny. Your children are darling. Warren is hilarious!

Brittanie said...

You guys all looked great for Halloween! I think you are awesome for even doing the phone calls - while I would support the amendment if I were in AZ, I don't know if I'd be brave enough to make phone calls. =)

Holly Janeen said...

you are right... those kind of phone calls ARE scary.
thanks for sharing the recipes :)