Friday, July 11, 2008

To Market, to Market and What is a Gite?

Today we went to the biggest local market around here in Riberac, and it was great! I've been to markets in Paris and Amboise, but I never got that "direct from the grower"-community-sort-of-feel. Here, where the towns are so small, it is easy to see why these traveling markets that spring up on the same day every week are such a vital--and exciting--part of the community. I forgot to bring my camera, but here is an all-inclusive list of what we bought:
-2 toys: balloons that are filled with moonsand or something that lets you sculpt faces with your hands--they will be great on the airplane for Warren and Abigail
-1 hat for Avery
-a jar of locally produced honey that we sampled
-cheese
-dry sausage: ostrich and chevreuil (other availabilities included, but were not limited to: donkey, with nuts, with cheese, with blueberries, pork, beef, American bison...)
-a tin of foie gras de canard--Andy has taken a liking to it
-a bottle of grape juice; the grape juice here is so good, it must be because they are so into wine. I'm excited to open this and drink it, since it is from a grower, and even the stuff we buy at the grocery store is so good.
-Warren bought a toy motorcycle with the euros we paid him to nap last week
It was so neat to see all the people walking around with their baskets or bags to hold their treasures. I loved the huge piles of wheels of cheeses and produce. I loved the man who sold the garlic and shallots and onions with his gnarled hands, I assume from producing his wares. Of course, there were bigger booths with assorted produce, but the ambiance of it all was very nice.
Here is Warren playing badminton at the game area of our gite. BTW, if my posts have you wondering what a "gite" is, it is a vacation rental home, often, but not always, in rural areas. There is government assistance for fixing up old homes that otherwise would be demolished, and that kind of started the whole gite thing, I guess. But not all are old buildings. Like this week, we are in the Dordogne region, just outside a little town called St. Privat-des-Pres, and the Brittish couple who run it operate 3 gites on the property, all of which are pretty new. You generally rent a gite for a week or more and it is--in my observation--cheaper than hotel rooms for a family, plus you have a kitchen and more privacy or space and all that good stuff. Here are the links to the 2 gites we have stayed at thus far.
In Amboise: http://www.troglodytes.fr/
In the Dordogne (southern France): http://www.frenchentree.com/france-holiday-rentals/1977/Aquitaine/Dordogne-24/dordogne-gite-pool-rural
If you ever decide to visit France, I highly recommend both. The owners of each or great people.

3 comments:

Grandma T. said...

Bekah, you did GOOD on your research of places to stay. These are very nice.

John and Lisa said...

I've heard and heard and heard about your blog...and again last night when I was talking to your mom at a synchro meet, and decided I needed to check this thing out! Love it!! What a great way to keep everyone here posted on your amazing experiences! Thanks for sharing so much! Lisa Jackson

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you paid Warren to nap!! ;) Can't wait to see you soon!