Today was my birthday. I didn't really do anything to make it special, but I was inspired by a sweet and funny poem my cousin's husband wrote her. So I used it as a template to write reflect on myself. All the capitalized words are his, the rest are mine. My poem is not funny or rhyming. It could've had a lot more I WORRYs in it, and I'd have filled them all. Those were much easier than the I LOVEs. I could've put the obvious--like naming each of my children, but I wanted to learn about myself. So I searched a little within. So as you read, in the words of a song I sang in junior high, "tread softly, tread softly, you tread on my dreams."
I LOVE to read children’s books with my kids,
I LOVE being home for week-nights.
I NEED more help than I’m willing to admit to myself to keep my home clean, my mind uncluttered and my heart happy.
I ALWAYS KNOW that Sarah will be there with a treat and a phone call.
I LIKE to bake desserts and to make banners.
I LIKE listening to talks by people I admire as I work to make those banners.
I WORRY that my banners and music classes will take too much time from being a mom, that I am too busy.
I WORRY that I will never have a house that meets my needs.
I WONDER if we will ever live in Paris again. I loved Paris with my children.
I CAN GUARANTEE that God will support you in all your trials and troubles and frustrations and blue days.
I CAN'T have a successful garden and 4 young children in AZ all at the same time.
I AM GLAD that my kids are quick to forgive me, and that it rained tonight. I love the rain.
I LOVE my husband.
I WORRY about being the mom each of my children needs, about how to connect with Avery better and about Madeleine’s cough tonight. And if I have irreparably damaged Warren’s ability to clean by the anger those attempts often brings about.YOU BALANCE in life is an illusion, you just do what you need to do when it needs to be done.
I CAN BALANCE a Kapla block tower and all of our various financial accounts—but I have got to make time to do it.
I WISH that I were better at nurturing friendships.
I WORRY about things I say long after I have said them and sleeping in too late. A lot.
I WANT to be more grateful
BECAUSE it will open my mind and give wings to my heart and manna to my soul.
4 comments:
Happy Birthday, Bekah. You are an amazing mother, as I can see in every one of your posts. You are such a wonderful and creative person. I enjoy imagining a life more like yours. I admire your many many many many strengths.
Thanks for giving me something to think about. Here's to many more birthdays and story times with your kids to come...
Hey Bekah, I hope you don't mind my leaving a note. I found you through Taryn. Happy Birthday (belated). It was so great seeing all of you at Emily's reception, I love you all, Lawanna
you can find me @danieldoings.blogspot.com or danieldoings.com
Bekah, I was totally going to send you a card, but this month flew by so fast!! I feel like it was just Fast Sunday! (That's when I decided to send you a card.)
SO sorry I missed your birthday!! We're almost twins; I turn 27 on the 30th!
If you need a day out with just Avery, you're more than welcome to drop off Warren, Abigail, and Madeleine at our house! And I think you do a wonderful job of nurturing friendships. Everyone knows they can talk to you about anything and feel safe doing so. Maybe we're the ones that don't do a good job of being friends back... I'll try harder! :)
I feel so bad, like we brushed off your birthday cause of the wedding...I"m sorry! I don't love you any less FYI!!!
YOU'RE MY HERO!!!
Post a Comment